Living in Davie Florida gives you a world of things to see and do. There are so many things to do in Davie, you’ll never get bored. But, you’re also very close to the big-city amenities of Fort Lauderdale. For example, the Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale is only 11 miles from downtown Davie. If you’re not familiar with that district, here’s what you need to know!
What is The Fort Lauderdale Riverwalk?
The Riverwalk is a waterfront park along the banks of the New River in the heart of downtown Fort Lauderdale. Some people call it Florida’s most beautiful mile. You can walk along the promenade along the New River and stop at boutiques, restaurants, and museums all nestled in lush tropical scenery. This map of Riverwalk shows you around the area.
The Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District
The arts and entertainment district along the Riverwalk consists of:
- The NSU Art Museum: The Nova Southeastern University’s art museum is home to a collection of over 6,000 works. It also hosts touring exhibitions such as Tutankhamun and the popular Artist in Residence Program. In addition, you can rent the museum for weddings and special events.
- Fort Lauderdale Historical Society: Visit the Museum of Florida History to see where Fort Lauderdale began. You can also journey back in time at the King-Cromartie House Museum, where you can experience the lifestyle of early settlers.
- Bonnet House Museum & Gardens: If you’re a fan of historic homes, you can see what life was like in the 1930s and 1940s when Frederic Clay Bartlett and his wife built the home. The House hosts outdoor concerts, an annual orchid festival and more.
- Florida Grand Opera: Visit this landmark to see theater, dance and music performances. You’ll find something for everyone. You can also participate in educational programs or rent the facility for special events.
- Broward Center for the Performing Arts: The Florida Grand Opera performs here. You can see best of Broadway theater productions, ballet and dance performances, opera and music performances.
- Stranahan House Museum: This museum is located at the east end of the Riverwalk. It is housed in a trading post originally established in 1901. At that time, it was involved in the founding of Fort Lauderdale, and its economic and social evolution.
And, don’t forget to check the District events calendar for more information on special events.
The mile-long Riverwalk offers a variety of activities. For example, you can:
- Have fun on the river in stand-up paddleboards
- Rent a kayak
- Take a guided bicycle or quadracycle tours or rent a bike and go on your own
- Take a tour on a Segway
- Take yoga or photography classes
- Train your dog at organized classes
You can make specific plans to attend one of the Riverwalk events. The events include a Jazz event the first Sunday of each month, a Summer Social Celebration in July and a Fall Festival in September, to name just a few.
One of the things I love about living in Davie is that I can live in a laid-back, outdoors-oriented small town, but it’s easy to get to all the things to see and do in Fort Lauderdale. Living in Davie is really the best of both worlds.
If you’re thinking about buying or selling Davie real estate, feel free to call us at 954-242-8030 or send me an email. The Teri Arbogast Team is composed of professional, well-educated and caring Davie real estate agents who will make sure your next real estate transaction is a rousing success!
Photo: Bonnet House Museum & Gardens
Attribution: Leonard J. DeFrancisci