If you’re planning to purchase one of our lovely Davie FL homes for sale, you might be wondering how you could get involved in the community. If you already live in Davie, you may be familiar with the Old Davie School facility, but you may not know that it’s more than a museum!
The Museum’s History
The Old Davie School Historial Museum collects, preserves, interprets and educates people about the heritage, culture, and history of the Davie community and western Broward County. In 1984, the David School Foundation was created to restore the school building. The Town of Davie, the Broward County School Board, the Davie Historical Association and the Soroptimist International of Davie (a global women’s organization) support the Foundation.
The School was designed by August Geiger, one of Florida’s prominent architects. It opened in 1918 with approximately 90 students. Since that time, the school building has been used as a town hall, dance hall and office space. Today, the property consists of a restored schoolroom in the original schoolhouse building, a renovated Pioneer Home, and two 1912 homes that were brought to the site for display.
The Museum Today
The museum lets you visit the area’s history and agricultural past. Its artifacts, maps and photographs take you back through the history that formed the community known as The Town of Davie. Tours are by appointment only.
Public and private schools, groups of homeschoolers and civic organizations often take advantage of the tours. If you need funding for a tour, ask about the School Board of Broward County’s Supplemental Arts and Sciences Program (SASP) for your area.
Things to Do in Davie FL: Old Davie School Historical Museum
- JOIN THE MUSEUM. If you want to get involved in the community, you can join the Museum at various levels. Depending on the membership you choose, you can get everything from discounted admission to benefactor recognition displayed in the museum.
- VOLUNTEER AT THE MUSEUM. Volunteer opportunities include becoming a tour guide for school programs, helping at special events, doing community outreach and more.
- HOLD AN EVENT AT THE MUSEUM. The Museum and its grounds can be rented for any private event including weddings, graduation celebrations, birthdays and bar/bat mitzvahs.
- The Museum Auditorium is located in the Davie School. It can hold up to 175 guests and you’ll have access to the patio’s Seminole Chickee Hut for ceremonies or outdoor gatherings.
- The Amphitheater is in the middle of a beautiful outdoor area graced by a backdrop of natural everglades landscaping. Weddings, concerts or seminars are just some of the types of events held at the Amphitheater.
- The Cafetorium is an historic place to hold a business meeting or school event.
- ATTEND AN EVENT AT THE MUSEUM. The Museum holds a variety of events that are open to the public. For example, on September 16, 2017, The Museum will host the Generations of Taste Cooking Competition. It’s a popular event – you can participate in the competition, or just attend to sample all of the delectable dishes. On October 27, 2017, the museum opens for family fun and spooky activities to celebrate Halloween. In addition, you can enjoy an Olde Davie Christmas family festival on December 3, 2017.
There’s a lot of things to do in Davie. If you’re looking for Davie FL homes for sale, the local experts on the Teri Arbogast Team can tell you about many other reasons why Davie is a great place to live. Call us at 954-242-8030 or contact us online for more information.